Skip to main content

Working-Class Mr. Ahn's Unscheduled Visits to Dr. Yeon's Clinic — Intro

After Suho's Coma

A note before we begin — this one started in a YouTube comment section.

For a change of pace, no academic essays today. Just a peek behind the curtain of fan subculture — and a huge thank you to Asuka, whose wit literally got me through the week. This one's for you.


Si-eun-ah: More Than a Name

Asuka: The one that got me was the last 'Si-eun-ah' we will hear from Su-ho's voice. It rings out simply and tenderly in a dream-space that is the warm, broken heart of the show.

Jennie: I had a Twitter follower ask me recently how couples in Korea call each other, like with pet names, and they asked what I thought Su-ho would call Si-eun if he had a pet name for him. So I replied that Su-ho just calling him "Si-eun-ah" already feels like a pet name to me.

The last name Su-ho called before he woke up from the coma was "Si-eun-ah." Yes, I still remember the insane moment. I loved that scene so much, I made an audio about the nuance that was hard to read in the subtitle. Unlike Su-ho's usual silliness and tough accent, his voice was so sad and wistful, right? It was a truly cruel and beautiful scene.

A: Good day Jennie. I maintain a very low social media presence to keep myself sane. I still have no Instagram, Snapchat, or Twitter/X, but I'll consider setting one up to further our discussions on the artistry of Weak Hero and future dramas.

It is so sad indeed. Si-eun-ah, you can sleep after all that? And Si-eun takes a good 20 seconds to respond, but it feels like nothing at all, because we want more time for these two precious friends together.


Dr. Yeon and Working-Class Mr. Ahn: The Beginning

J: Friend! No worries, I also activated my Twitter just because of Weak Hero Class 1. I'm not a social media person either, but I felt like I had to preserve these precious conversations somewhere. Comments like yours are what make my day, don't ever forget that!

And for real, while every scene in Weak Hero Class 1 gave me a huge impact, I swear the dream convo Su-ho and Si-eun had in the hospital bed left the biggest impression on me. I still often wonder what director Yoo was feeling when he wrote the script.

And because of that, I sometimes don't want to see the Weak Hero Class 1 characters become adults. A follower recently asked me if Su-ho, Si-eun, and Beom-seok could form a community together as adults, and I said I thought it was impossible. Beom-seok is a politician's son, Si-eun will be a professional like a doctor or prosecutor, and Su-ho is clearly working class. It makes me so sad to think about it, but it's more beautiful for them to remain as an intense, unforgettable memory for each other.

A: Yes, I can see how the pressures of reality may pry these boys apart. However, in the unreality of my delusions, I can totally foresee how a certain handsome working-class guy keeps visiting his favourite doctor for spurious reasons. And each time he waltzes into the private clinic at lunch without an appointment, Dr. Yeon still sees him with pretend irritation.

"Why do you keep coming?" he says, trying to sound weary of his favourite patient. But the attendant nurses already have their suspicions. Because that's the only time they get to see his jaded face flush with a smile so sweet and true. And he never charges a dime. After all, it's unclear who is giving whom medicine.


Yeon Clinic Series: Where Fiction Sparks

J: Wait, when you said you work on stage... are you a playwright? Hahahahaha, oh, I laughed so hard in my delusions.

Both Su-ho and Si-eun feel too hetero to me, so I struggle imagining them sharing physical intimacy or sexual acts. But if we don't define love only through sexuality, Su-ho and Si-eun had a different type of love. Su-ho was basically the first person Si-eun opened up to after coming into the world, so Su-ho had to be his first love.

The fact that you got so hooked on my "working class Su-ho" and "professional Si-eun" lines and have run with it this far is absolutely hilarious. 120/100, I laughed so hard, that was truly witty. Thanks for making my night.

A: Hi Jennie, I do get involved in scriptwriting at times, but I wouldn't call myself a playwright.

I still like to think a certain Mr Ahn visits Yeon Clinic rather too regularly. To, you know, cure headaches, toothaches, heartaches, and throbbing pain. Treatment might get a bit loud, but the attendant nurses are professional.

One does not fool around when Dr Yeon is holding court. Once, when a team of audio engineers was brought in to install soundproofing, a younger trainee nurse tried too hard to be helpful.

"These panels look like they cut out higher sounds, but do they also reduce thumping noises?"

This summoned a stare from the owner so burning cold it made the air turn to lead. Older nurses rushed off to do filing. Paperwork was never more welcome. It has been several months, but the trainee has yet to be promoted.


Mr. Ahn's Questionable Walk-ins

J: Honestly, I think you're plotting to make me pass out from laughter and collapse from hyperventilation today. Even without my amateur Korean local perspective adding realistic bricks to your delusion arc, your fantasy already sent me to the moon. I do hope this comment never gets deleted.

Yeon Clinic is clearly internal medicine, but here comes working-class Mr Ahn walking through those clinic doors with spurious reasons like headaches, toothaches, chest pains — while Dr Yeon gives him that slightly furrowed brow paired with a smile creeping across his lips that totally doesn't match his expression.

A: A good point, well taken. I suspect I will need a few posts for this bowl. I'll number them.


📥 This free ebook will ruin you. In the best way. A character analysis of Si-eun, Su-ho & Beom-seok that goes beyond what subtitles can carry. Take it — it's free → DOWNLOAD HERE

This post was originally published on Jennie's blog in the summer of 2025. The original blog has since moved to Blogger due to hosting changes — welcome to the new home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working-Class Mr. Ahn's Unscheduled Visits to Dr. Yeon's Clinic (2)

Toof Achy Working-Class Mr. Ahn's Unscheduled Visits to Dr. Yeon's Clinic continues... Missed Part 1? Start here → PART 1 Warning: this post deals with some heavier psychological topics and dark fictional elements. Everything here is totally fictional. Excuse Me, I'm Not a Dentist, Ok? Asuka: Thanks Jennie for your lovely thoughts and interior designing. What a perfect way to end a busy weekend. I have adjusted a little bit of Soup Part 1 in light of new condiments, including the length of Si-eun's service in Iraq. I'll put the full cauldron here: 1. Although he feigned exasperation with his most persistently ill patient, the truth was that Dr Yeon very much looked forward to Mr Ahn disrupting his routines. On days when he did not visit because of work demands, Dr Yeon felt the time crawl by. Such days were random, and he always feared Mr Ahn had been injured at work or at wherever he was gallivanting. He remembered the ice-cold days of Suho's coma. D...

Working-Class Mr. Ahn's Unscheduled Visits to Dr. Yeon's Clinic (1)

The Walk-ins Begin Working-Class Mr. Ahn's Unscheduled Visits to Dr. Yeon's Clinic continues... Missed the Intro? Start here → INTRO Warning: this post deals with some heavier psychological topics and dark fictional elements. Everything here is totally fictional. The Hidden Photo Frame bowl of non-canon, highly-revisionist soup — by Asuka Because he didn't always knock, one day Mr. Ahn barged in to find a rather startled Dr. Yeon. This was on purpose, of course; alarming his closest friend was a form of gentle teasing he had been doing for years. It didn't matter that the physician here was something of a cult hero, revered and envied by insiders for his phenomenal memory and the precision of his cuts and injections. To him, Dr Yeon was just a more decorated version of his reticent high school mate, the strength behind his heartbeats, and Mr Ahn loved seeing those liquid eyes widen into pure, clear pools. This rude entrance was usually followed by a lecture on m...